Sunday 1 November 2009

Wish you were here...

Well today was the day in which I made my final postcard for the idat106 module. I must admit I have no idea what sort of thing shaun was after so I decided that I would just make a traditional postcard with the "wish you were here..." text on (hence the title of this post). I chose the Royal William Yard as where my postcard would feature because it is the area I believe my group is focusing on.
Rather than take my own photo for it I decided it would be best to search the internet for a birds eye view of the yard because i figured that would be the best type of photo to use.
Now this would be my very first attempt at making a postcard, ever.

As you can see it is very poor indeed. I put this down to the fact the image I chose was not the best and because I hadn't used any fancy photoshop effects.

So after that attempt I sat myself down and had another go using a different image. I used the same font as before (Brush Script Std) for the text and also had a look around photoshop to see what I could do. I messed around with layers that were just a block of colour and changing the opacity and I also looked at some layer effects and filters. And this image below would be the final product.

I will start by describing the effects I used on the text. I used a layer effect called outer glow and also stroke. Stroke is where you can add an outline to something so i went for black to help it stand out better. I used outer glow to give it that sort of postcardy type look. As for the image itself all I did was mess around with a layer that was blue and changed the opacity.

So thats it, the story of the postcard. Its not quite futuristic with like neon lights and floating stuff but I think in 10/20 years time this is pretty much how the yard will look. I know its pretty much the same but I cannot see any dramatic changes being made. Also it will more than likely be maintained to keep it looking good so therefore I reckon it will look almost the same. However I must admit if I had the skill set to add floating things I definitely would have done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment